Friday, January 21, 2005

Freedom v. Justice

I watched a portion of the inaugural speech while reading James Fallows' latest in The Atlantic Monthly (I know I have too much time on my hands). It is true that his audience for the event was the home crowd, but if was W hoping to reach the people of the Middle East or Iraq it is unlikely that he succeeded. Then again he probably wasn't since Iraq was not mentioned. Anyway here is what Fallows has to say about communicating the right message to Arab Muslims:

For instance, in much of today's Muslim world "justice" is a
more compelling ideal than individual "liberty." "This really is a war of
narratives in a battlefield of interpretation," Marc Sageman says. "We need to promote a positive vision to substitute for the vision of violence. And that vision has to be justice. It is no accident that these groups are always calling themselves 'The Party of Justice' and so on. In the time of the Suez Canal the United States stood for 'justice' against the Brits and French, and we were the toast of the Middle East. We need to be pushing a vision of a fair and just world, with us in harmony with the rest of the world, as opposed to at war with the rest of the world."



Just as an FYI in his speech W used the word freedom at least 25 times, the word liberty 15 times and justice just 3 times (yes, I counted).

1 Comments:

Blogger theCardinal said...

I counted before I realized that I read actually had the totals...I am such a schmuck. I'll try to get those quotes out faster next time.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home