Friday, September 09, 2005

In The Tanks - Measuring Economic Freedom

This is something I hope to make a regular feature but it promises to be quite a challenge. The idea is to check in on the think tanks and see what they have to say on foreign policy, strategy, domestic security and defense strategy. I will confess that I can only do this when I have some leisure time at my disposal.
The libertarian Cato Institute has put out its annual report - Economic Freedom of the World. Topping the list this year are free market havens Hong Kong and Singapore. The US is in third tied with both New Zealand and Switzerland. Overall the report notes an improvement in the free market enviroment worldwide. I always enjoy checking out the Cato report and comparing it with the Heritage Foundation's Index of Economic Freedom. The Heritage list is also topped by Hong Kong and Singapore but there the similarities end. The US can't crack the top 10 on the Heritage list it finds itself knotted up at 12 with Switzerland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home