Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Wolfie's World

I am a huge Hurricane football fan. Back during the difficult and painful rebuilding years we fielded some pretty mediocre teams. Nowhere was this more evident than on the offensive side of the ball. It was simply impossible for the "U" to have a consistent offensive effort over the span of four quarters. It became common practice for me to curse the existence of our offensive coordinator and wish him the most extraordinarily painful and prolonged demise in the history of man. Imagine the concern of friends and family when the sainted Butch Davis departed and the bane of my existence ascended to the position of head coach. I surprised all by declaring that maybe, just maybe this was the right time for him to move up. He was the right man for the right job at the right time. The coach was Larry Coker and he confirmed my confidence in him by winning the title that year.

This is pretty much how I feel about Paul Wolfowitz taking over the World Bank. There is every reason to think that he should not get the job, but for some reason I am not as upset as I thought I would be. Wolfie more than any other neo-con is a true believer in development and democracy. Sure others may fall back on the democracy argument for going into Iraq after not finding WMD, but Wolfie wanted this all along. Maybe he is better suited to run an organization that doesn't deploy armed troops. Then again I haven't read Confessions of an Economic Hitman yet so who knows what will happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home